Tea Tree Oil - Everything You Need to Know
Tea tree oil. You've certainly heard of it. It's been in and out of beauty conversations for years. But have you tried and tested it?
Tea tree oil is a popular natural skincare alternative. Tea tree is a plant native to Australia, found mostly in northern NSW and southeast QLD. Tea tree oil has been used by Indigenous Australians for many years, for topical medicinal purposes. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make it perfect for treating a range of skin conditions. Today, it is widely used as an alternative to chemically enhanced products and prescription creams that are used to treat dermatitis and eczema.
What else can tea tree oil be used for? As well as being great for treating eczema & dermatitis...
- It helps to sooth and treat dry skin conditions (including dandruff)
- Calms red & itchy skin conditions (because of it's anti-inflammatory properties!)
- Can help prevent and reduce acne scars
- Helps treat infections, cuts and wound heeling (because of its antibacterial properties!)
- Can help to fight acne
- Can help to treat nail fungus
- Can be used as a hand sanitiser
How do I buy the right tea tree oil?
- Look for 100% pure organic tea tree oil. - The bottle should also include the latin name for tea tree, Melaleuca alternifolia, as well as the country of origin. - Look for an oil that has terpinen levels of 30-40%
- It is also a good idea to do some homework on the brand you are buying from. Is it certified organic? Is it a well known trustworthy brand?
Are there any concerns for using tea tree oil?
- Tea tree oil should be diluted with another carrier oil first. Do not put pure tea tree oil straight onto your skin. - The odd person can find they are allergic to tea tree oil, but this is not found to be common in products that are diluted. It is recommended that a patch test is conducted when first using a product containing tea tree oil. - Tea tree oil should not be ingested (It should be stored away from children). - If you are pregnant you should consult your doctor before using tea tree oil products.
Becalm Balm by With Emily, is an all natural multipurpose calming balm with several uses! One of its major ingredients is tea tree oil! Launching early 2019, Becalm Balm will be your next handbag staple! Click here to sign up and receive an exclusive discount code to use when we launch!
You might also like: "Why Go Natural? [Skincare]" - Written by Emily Elizabeth May